Wide ranging experience. Strategic innovation. Client success.
Superior Client Value
Gary Adler launched Adler Law with an eye on using his over 35 years of experience in large law firms, including as a managing partner in a nationwide firm, to provide the expertise clients expect from a large law firm with the personal attention of a boutique practice. Gary is also Of Counsel to Zell Law.
Superior Client Value
Gary Adler launched Adler Law with an eye on using his over 35 years of experience in large law firms, including as a managing partner in a nationwide firm, to provide the expertise clients expect from a large law firm with the personal attention of a boutique practice.
Areas of Concentration
Gary has served as the Executive Director and Counsel of the National Association of Ticket Brokers since its inception in 1994. He is generally recognized as a prominent expert in the ticket field and is often quoted and published concerning event ticketing issues.
Gary has extensive litigation experience and has served as lead counsel in lawsuits across the United States on a wide range of substantive areas. He has tried numerous cases and has experience at the appellate level.
Sports & Entertainment
Gary has been involved in the sports industry for over three decades. He has represented professional football, hockey, baseball and boxing athletes, as well as entertainers, in contract negotiations, corporate matters and litigation. He has also advised clients on the purchase and sale of teams and negotiating naming-rights deals.
Gary acts as general counsel for various corporations, partnerships and trade associations. In his capacity as general counsel, Gary advises clients on a wide range of issues including structuring organizations, handling business transactions and negotiating contracts.
Gary has represented construction contractors, architects, developers and home owners in negotiating contracts and construction-related litigation including design defects, performance insufficiencies, failure to pay and breaches of warranty,
Gary Adler has practiced law in large law firms for close to 35 years and has served as the Managing Director of the Washington, DC office of a nationwide firm. He has advocated and provided advice for large companies, small businesses and individuals in a diverse practice which focuses on commercial litigation and business counseling.
Gary has handled complex litigation matters and has experience in a broad range of civil litigation at both the trial and appellate levels. His litigation experience includes matters in over 30 state and federal courts. He has served as lead counsel on numerous bench and jury trials.
He also acts as general counsel to various businesses and trade associations. In his capacity as general counsel, Gary advises clients on a wide range of issues including structuring organizations, handling business transactions, human relation issues, avoiding tort and contract liability, protecting intellectual property rights and negotiating contracts.
In addition, Gary has been involved in the sports industry since 1978 when he started to work for the Washington Capitals during his undergraduate years. During law school, he worked for the National Football League Players Association (“NFLPA”). Thereafter he was an agent for professional athletes and entertainers. He has continued to advise professional athletes on business and personnel matters.
He is also well-versed in the legal issues of the ticket industry, In this regard, he has published articles and has been quoted in The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Washington Post, USA Today, Sports Business Journal, Rolling Stone Magazine, Esquire, Sports Illustrated and other publications.
Gary is actively involved in charitable activities in the community serving on the Board of the Washington DC Chapter of Sports Business and Leadership Association and Zachary Orr’s Family and Youth Foundation, assisting in the establishment of the Casey Schulman Foundation and acting as Vice President and General Counsel of the Alexandria Aces in the Cal Ripkin Collegiate Baseball League.
- Serving as the Executive Director and Counsel for the National Association of Ticket Brokers (“NATB”), a not-for-profit organization representing professional ticket resellers. He has represented the NATB for 26 years, overseeing its entire operations and helping to establish the NATB’s Code of Ethics and Consumer Complaint Procedures.
- Representing approximately 40 Washington Redskins football players in their challenge to the class action settlement that resulted in the first salary cap in the NFL and in handling a publicized suit against the NFLPA in which his clients successfully asserted their right to work and avoided the NFLPA’s attempt to preclude the players from participating in NFL games.
- Obtaining dismissal prior to trial of a multi-million dollar wrongful death suit brought against a public utility company.
- Handling the due diligence and negotiations for a potential investor bidding to purchase the Washington Nationals during MLB’s process of selecting an ownership group.
- Counseling venues and sponsors in negotiating deals for the naming rights to arenas and convention halls.
- Successfully defending a television production company from employment discrimination claims.
- Winning a jury verdict on behalf of an electric company in regards to its practices and procedures in maintaining its electrical transmission lines.
- Securing a defense verdict in a federal jury trial against a cellular telephone company claiming it violated various fair credit statutes.
- Successfully obtaining damages on behalf of a real estate developer against a general contractor as a result of construction defects.
- Pursing claims on behalf of the family of a prisoner who died while incarcerated and obtaining one of the largest settlements for such claims from the state of Maryland.
- Representing Damon Dash and Team Roc (Rocawear and Roc-A-Fella Records) in regard to boxing issues and their role in boxing promotions.
- Assisting in the development of the American Polo League and serving as its inaugural Acting Commissioner.
- J.D., The Catholic University of America, Columbus School of Law,
- Washington DC, 1985, American, Jurisprudence Award in Property
- B.A., George Washington University,
Washington DC, 1980
- U.S. District Ct., District of Columbia
- U.S. District Ct., District of Maryland
- U.S. Court of Appeals, DC Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 4th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 7th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 8th Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, 9th Circuit
- “Washington DC Super Lawyer” by Washington DC Super Lawyers for numerous years.
- Managing Partner of the DC Office of a National Firm.
Service to Community
Washington DC Chapter of Sports Business and Leadership Association
Board member for the DC Chapter of a non-profit organization that provides underprivileged children with unique sports experiences not otherwise available to them.
Casey Schulman Foundation
Helped establish the foundation that awards college scholarships to needy and motivated students who exhibit a curiosity about the world and have shown unusual kindness toward others.
VP and General Counsel, Alexandria Aces of the Cal Ripkin Collegiate Baseball League
The Aces are a 501(c)(3) baseball team comprised of college athletes. It competes in the Cal Ripkin Summer League.
Zachary Orr Family and Youth Foundation
Zach Orr earned All Pro status as a Baltimore Raven football player. After his retirement he established this Foundation whose mission is to help young people better understand the multitude of options they have available to them for their future.
One to One
Personal attention is a top priority.
A core component of our approach is to treat each client with the respect of full and honest communication.
Committed to Excellence
Client satisfaction has been achieved through hard work and dedication to the client’s needs.
Superior Outcomes. Enduring Relationships.
“Gary has been with my company since it started over 20 years ago. His advice and counsel have been invaluable to the growth of our business whether it be handling HR issues, contract negotiations, litigation or anything else that comes up. We would not be where we are without Gary’s tireless support.”
“Over the years, I have referred numerous litigation matters to Gary. The results have been impressive. Moreover, the clients have been extremely satisfied with Gary’s approach and responsiveness.”
“Gary was my dad’s agent when he played in the NFL. So it was natural that I relied on Gary for advice when I turned pro. Gary has been with me through all the ups and downs and I cannot express how valuable his guidance has been for me.”